Motorcycles are fun to ride, and the practice is a favorite pastime for many Americans. However, motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than other passenger vehicles. It’s vital for Riverside motorcyclists to understand the risks of motorcycles and use extra care on the road. Not only are motorcycles smaller and therefore less visible than passenger cars, they also lack the protection afforded by a car.
Riverside drivers should use extra caution and stay alert for motorcycles that may pass through blind spots or other hard-to-see areas. Motorcyclists should not only understand the risks of riding, but also know their rights in the event of an accident. At Estey & Bomberger, we want Riverside bikers to be safe and secure on the road, and the following is a bit of useful information concerning motorcycle accidents in Riverside.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
In 2011, motorcycle deaths accounted for about 14 percent of all motor vehicle crashes. That figure is more than double the number for motorcycle deaths in 1997, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. What’s more, when motorcycles crash their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and therefore are more likely to be injured or killed.
By contrast, fewer passenger vehicle occupants died in crashes in 2011 than in any year since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began collecting fatal crash data in 1975.
- Forty-six percent of motorcyclist deaths in 2011 occurred in single-vehicle crashes
- Fifty-four percent of motorcycle deaths occurred in multiple-vehicle crashes
- In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents
- The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle accidents are a serious concern. For more information, check out our article about How Dangerous Is Motorcycle Lane Splitting in CA?
A Real motorcycle accident victim tells his story:
This is Louis, a motorcycle accident victim who came to Estey & Bomberger after being seriously injured in a motorcycle accident for which he was not at fault. Louis was the victim of a negligent driver. This is the story of his experience with us:
Potential Injuries on a Motor Bike
In most cases, motorcycles are two-wheeled and openly designed. There is no exterior protection from other vehicles in an accident. Additionally, motorcycles do not have seat belts (mostly due to the fact that a seat belt on a motorcycle would likely create more harm that it would prevent). This means a car striking a motorcycle at high speed usually sends the motorcycle rider flying, often incurring serious or fatal injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries. Any blunt force trauma to the head can cause permanent damage, rendering a person paralyzed or otherwise permanently disabled. Traumatic brain injuries range in severity from mild concussions to fatal wounds.
- Spinal injuries. The spinal cord is one of the most important parts of the body, but unlike most of the rest of the body, it cannot repair itself once damaged. A spinal injury can lead to loss of motor and bodily functions, and the severity of the damage depends on what part of the spine is injured. A wound to the lower areas of the spine may complicate or prevent walking and/or bowel control, while a wound closer to the base of the skull could leave a victim permanently paralyzed. •
- Broken bones. Striking the pavement at high speed typically causes painful bone fractures that can also lead to permanent disability.
- Lacerations. Debris and striking the road can cause deep cuts.
- Burns. Sliding across pavement at high speeds can create serious friction burns, commonly called “road rash.”
- Wrongful death. If a motorcycle accident victim’s injuries prove fatal, the victim’s surviving loved ones may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim against a negligent party who caused the death.
This is not an exhaustive list, and the potential injuries in a motorcycle accident are extensive.
For Us, Motorcycle Accidents are Personal
Stephen Estey is not only an attorney who represents victims of motorcycle accidents, he is also an avid motorcycle rider. He understands what it’s like to be cut-off by a driver and even thrown from a motorcycle.
Seek a Riverside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Your Case
Regardless of the specifics of a motorcycle accident, if you or a loved one has suffered injuries from any motorcycle crash, it’s imperative to speak to a qualified Riverside motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It’s also important to know what to do immediately after a motorcycle accident.
Once you have addressed your immediate medical issues and obtained a copy of the police report for your motorcycle accident, you’ll need to file a claim with your insurance company. Depending on your degree of fault in the accident, this can be a difficult process with which a lawyer can help. If you are able to settle the case, you could receive compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, damage to your vehicle, and any lost income from time away from work due to the accident.
The Riverside accident attorney team at Estey & Bomberger, LLP has represented thousands of accident clients. Our diligence, knowledge and hard work have enabled us to win millions of dollars in damages for clients. We will Fight for Your Rights!
Do you know what to do if you or a loved one is involved in such an accident? Estey & Bomberger, LLP Can Help!
We know how crucial it is for Riverside County drivers to be mindful of motorcycles on the road. We also know that motorcyclists deserve fair compensation when they suffer injuries due to the actions of other negligent drivers. If you have questions or have been inured in a motorcycle accident, make an appointment for a free case evaluation. We can meet you in our offices or if you’re unable to make it to our office, we’ll arrange to meet you wherever it is convenient. Because we work on a contingency basis, you don’t have to pay us any money unless we win your case and you’re awarded financial damages. Call us in Riverside today! 951-543-9020